The city pilot program allows citizens to drop off food scraps for free at collection facilities. The facilities aim to decrease the nearly 1 million pounds of food waste dumped at the Franklin County Landfill every day. The food waste will be composted at a facility in London, Ohio.
The west side drop-off location is open 24/7 at Dodge Park and Community Center (667 Sullivant Ave Columbus, OH 43215).
The other sites are located at Scioto Southland Park (3901 Parsons Ave.) and Anheuser-Busch Sports Park (4990 Olentangy River Road).
These are the materials that accepted:
- Fruits, vegetables, grains, beans
- Pasta, baked goods
- Coffee grounds, tea (no plastic tea bags)
- Eggs, eggshells, dairy
- Cooked meat, raw meat, bones, seafood, and shellfish in small quantities
- Small amounts of oil or grease
- Soiled non-coated paper/fiber products (napkins, paper)
- ONLY “BPI certified compostable” plastic products (bin liners/bags, cutlery, containers)